In this modern period, when you catch a common cold or if you have a bad headache your intuition is to take over-the-counter medication.
But did you know that over-dependence on these kinds of drugs can also make you internally sick overtime? This is one of the reasons why there are physicians who would recommend old home remedies that are proven safe and effective since ancient times than taking medications.
Here are the top safe old home remedies that are still surprisingly working:
#1: Ginger tea
Ginger tea has been used for centuries and still one of the best old remedies ‘to this day. Here are some known uses of drinking ginger tea:
- It helps calm motion sickness with symptoms like nausea, cold sweats, and dizziness.
- It helps maintain blood pressure and keeps the heart stay healthy.
- It helps manage obesity and can keep blood sugar in control.
- Helps relieve pain (headache, menstrual cramps, muscle soreness, and more).
#2: Tea on a teabag
Don’t just throw that used tea bag because you can use it to help calm those puffy eyes. According to experts, the caffeine inside the tea bag can help reduce vasoconstriction around the eyes, which helps reduce or treat puffiness.
Here’s one quick tip, to maximize the efficiency of the tea bag make sure to place it inside the fridge at least one hour before using it to treat puffy eyes.
If you are having a hard time going, prunes are one of the best remedies to treat constipation. According to studies, prunes and dried plums are a natural remedy for constipation. It contains high fiber and high sorbitol, which are both laxatives.
So, if you have heard your grandmother recommending eating prunes or dried plum to relieve constipation, you have to believe her.
Honey – the nectar of the gods – has been part of the human diet for thousands of years. It contains anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
The following are the benefits of using honey:
- Try making honey citrus syrup and you have a remedy for sore throat and flu.
- Try making honey-lemon syrup and you can treat your cold and the best remedy to lose weight.
- If you pair cinnamon and honey, it’ll boost your health and keep you from acquiring heart problems and hypertension.
- If you try to make ginger-honey syrup or tea, it’ll treat stomach problems and can clear sinuses.
- Try combining honey and apple cider vinegar to relieve acid reflux.
- Combining honey and brown sugar can make a great moisturizing exfoliant for dry skin.
- Honey and coconut oil can beat dehydration, as well as, sore muscles.
- A combination of honey and orange can make you feel calm; if you feel fatigued, anxious, and exhausted, dry drinking honey and orange juice.
There are more old home remedies out there that are still surprisingly useful even this day. Sometimes you do not have to go out to find medication for a particular health problem because some of these are found inside your house.
However, if symptoms persist, you need to consult the medical practitioners for proper diagnosis and treatment; there could be an underlying cause that old home remedies can’t cure.